Have you ever asked yourself why you could not have access to credit facilities or your loan applications were rejected? Then you should definitely check your status with the Mauritius Credit Information Bureau.
What is the Mauritius Credit Information Bureau?
The Mauritius Credit Information Bureau (MCIB) is the only credit bureau operating in Mauritius according to the Bank of Mauritius Act 2004 and fully owned and operated by the Bank of Mauritius. The MCIB collects all the information, positive and negative, of recipients of credit facilities and guarantors, information from utility bodies and Hire Purchase Companies and any other information that may reasonably assist in ensuring the soundness of the credit information system.
The main objective of the MCIB is to make sure that there is an overall sound credit environment and also the MCIB directly assists in fighting a culture of taking debts, principally of households, which may have a huge negative impact on family life.
Who are the participants of the Mauritius Credit Information Bureau?
A participant is an institution which is authorized by the Bank of Mauritius to provide and retrieve information from the database of the MCIB. Currently 44 participants have access to the database of the MCIB and provide information to the MCIB comprising of banks, leasing companies, insurance companies, non-bank financial companies and utility companies which are as follows:-
- Bank of Mauritius;
- ABC Banking Corporation Ltd;
- AfrAsia Bank Limited;
- Bank One Limited;
- Bank of Baroda;
- Banque des Mascareignes Ltee;
- Barclays Bank Mauritius Limited;
- Habib Bank Limited;
- Maubank Ltd;
- SBI (Mauritius) Limited;
- Standard Bank (Mauritius) Limited;
- SBM Bank (Mauritius) Ltd;
- The Hongkong and Shanghai Banking Corporation Limited;
- The Mauritius Commercial Bank Ltd;
- Century Banking Corporation Ltd;
- Standard Chartered Bank (Mauritius) Ltd;
- BanyanTree Bank Limited;and
- Investec Bank (Mauritius) Ltd.
- Cim Finance Ltd;
- Dolberg Asset Finance Limited;
- Expert Leasing Ltd;
- Finlease Company Limited;
- La Prudence Leasing Finance Co.Ltd;
- Mauritian Eagle Leasing Company Limited;
- SICOM Financial Services Ltd;
- SPICE Finance Ltd; and
- Tshusho Capital (Mauritius) Limited;
- State Insurance Company of Mauritius Ltd (SICOM);
- National Insurance Company Ltd;
- Indian Ocean General Assurance Co Ltd;
- La Prudence Mauricienne Assurances Ltée;
- Mauritius Union Assurance Co Ltd;
- Swan Life Ltd;
- LAMCO International Insurance Ltd;
- Island Life Assurance Co Ltd; and
- Metropolitan Life (Mauritius) Ltd.
- Central Electricity Board;
- Central Water Authority;
- Wastewater Management Authority; and
Mauritius Telecom Ltd.
All the institutions participating with the MCIB are required to submit information, positive or negative, on all credit facilities. Positive information includes credit facilities, both fund based and non-fund based, which are serviced on due dates. Negative information relates to credit facilities which have not been serviced on due date and have accumulated arrears, suit filed accounts, bankruptcy and insolvency cases and compromise settlements. For more information about the MCIB please click on the following link- Q&A MCIB.
SOURCE: BANK OF MAURITIUS