Today South Africa and the whole world celebrates the centenary of an Iconic figure. If there is a description that perfectly picture the life of Madiba it is arguably his closing speech in the Rivonia Trial in 1964:-
"During my lifetime I have dedicated my life to this struggle of the African people. I have fought against white domination, and I have fought against black domination. I have cherished the ideal of a democratic and free society in which all persons will live together in harmony and with equal opportunities. It is an ideal for which I hope to live for and to see realised. But, my Lord, if it needs be, it is an ideal for which I am prepared to die."
Here are a few lessons learnt from Sir Nelson Mandela:-
- Perseverance- Remember that Sir Nelson Mandela spent 27 years in prison fighting against the apartheid regime in South Africa;
- You have the right to have your personal opinion- Sir Nelson Mandela appreciated those who have independent minds because they tend to make him see problems from all angles;
- Pain and sufferings are temporary- To never give up however life is difficult;
- Knowledge is Power - " Education is the most powerful weapon you can use to change the world";
- Love always prevails- "No one is born hating another person because of the color of his skin or his background or his religion. People must learn to hate, and if they can learn to hate, they can be taught to love, for love comes more naturally to the human heart than its opposite.";
- Kindness and intelligence makes you strong- "A good head and a good heart are always a formidable combination" ;
- Our failures define us- "Do not judge me by my successes, judge me by how many times I fell down and got back up again."
For more information on Sir Nelson Rolihlahla Mandela please have a look at the following:-